Global A Go-Go presents:
It’s time for program #2 in Global A Go-Go’s three-week recap of 2017. This week: my ten favorite compilations, reissues and historic recordings of the year, plus five honorable mentions.
Since I started hosting Global A Go-Go in 2004, there’s been a massive wave of rediscovery of great international music from the 60s, 70s and 80s. It’s brought to the fore artists from around the world that first-world listeners like me never heard about when they were in their heyday.
That wave may be cresting as we enter 2018 — I received and heard fewer top-tier compilations, reissues and historic recordings this year than in any year since I started doing my radio show. Have all the African, Caribbean, Latin and Balkan crates now been dug? I doubt it — hopefully 2017 was a lull rather than an ending.
On the other hand, the best releases in this category were every bit as good as in previous years; it was just the volume of them that disappointed. Tune in and hear how good they are for yourself.
Here are Global A Go-Go’s Top Ten compilations, reissues and historic recordings for 2017 (with links to my reviews):
Top Ten Compilations, Reissues and Historic Recordings Of 2017
1. Hamad Kalkaba & The Golden Sounds | 1974-1975 | Analog Africa
2. various artists | Sweet As Broken Dates: Lost Somali Tapes From The Horn Of Africa | Ostinato
3. Ruben Gonzalez | Introducing Ruben Gonzalez | World Circuit
4. various artists | Uzelli Psychedelic Anadolu | Uzelli
5. Umoja | 707 | Awesome Tapes From Africa
6. various artists | Synthesize The Soul: Astro-Atlantic Hypnotica From The Cape Verde Islands 1973-1988 | Ostinato
7. Los Camaroes | Resurrection Los | Analog Africa
8. Andres Landero | Yo Amaneci | Vampisoul
9. various artists | Pop Makossa: The Invasive Dance Beat Of Cameroon 1976-1984 | Analog Africa
10. Fruko Y Sus Tesos | A La Memoria Del Muerto | Vampisoul
The Congos | Heart Of The Congos (40th Anniversary Edition) |17 North Parade
Culture | Two Sevens Clash (40th Anniversary Edition) | 17 North Parade
Fruko Y Sus Tesos | Tesura | Vampisoul
“Om” Alec Khaoli | Say You Love Me | Awesome Tapes From Africa
various artists | Macondo Revisitado: The Roots Of Subtropical Music, Uruguay 1975-1979 | Vampisoul
All the podcasts: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/series/Global+A+Go-Go
By the way, the photo at the top of this page is of Top Ten Records, the oldest record store in Dallas, TX (incidentally, Top Ten has a bit part in the story of John F. Kennedy’s assassination). They’re trying to turn themselves into a non-profit media archive right now with an Indiegogo campaign. Check it out here and help keep them going: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/top-ten-records-video-film
Bill Lupoletti 96 December 20th, 2017
Posted In: Music Shows