Curved Air presents:
What are we listening to today?
1) Henryk Mikołaj Górecki (1933-2010): Concerto For Harpsichord And String Orchestra (1980)
2) William Penn (b. 1943) – Fantasy For Solo Harpsichord (1973)
…and happy birthday Mozart!!!
3) “Sull Aria” from The Marriage Of Figaro (1786)
4) Bach’s Chaconne (1720), originally written for solo violin, arranged for organ by W.T. Best, performed by C. Edward Murray om the 1928 E.M. Skinner organ in the Immanuel Presbyterian Church, Los Angeles, CA.
5) Ligeti’s Volumina (1962), performed by Gerd Zacher, on the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin.
6) Khachaturian’s 3rd Symphony, for orchestra, organ and fifteen trumpets (1947)
7) Mahler’s Symphony No. 2 “Resurrection” (1895), fifth movement, conducted by Zubin Mehta with Vienna Philharmonic…sheer madness…pure beauty…hear it to believe it…there’s an organ somewhere, buried beneath the angels…
DJbob 224 January 27th, 2018