radio for the rest of us
WRIR 97.3 FM is unveiling a new weekday schedule of national news and talk programming, effective July 1. The revamped program schedule was prompted by National Public Radio’s recent announcent regarding the cancellation of their popular, long-running radio news magazine, Talk of the Nation. “Talk of the Nation was one of our flagship shows. The fact that Talk of the Nation did not air in Richmond was one of the motivating factors behind WRIR’s inception in 2005,“ said Josh Bearman, WRIR’s volunteer national news manager.
“While Talk of the Nation’s cancellation saddens us, it also presented WRIR with an opportunity to reformulate our news programming to better serve our listenership and meet our mission of presenting underrepresented news and views to Richmond.”, said Bearman. “We are moving away from the more commonly heard radio programs that are widely available throughout Virginia and the US, and have been scouring the airwaves for novel voices heretofore unheard in this region. We believe we’ve found those voices, and hope Richmond will love them as much as we do.”
WRIR will listen carefully to all listener feedback regarding the new programming and considers this schedule of new daytime news and talk programming a work in progress, as new shows find their footing in the Richmond market. WRIR encourages listeners to take part in the review process by emailing WRIR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WRIR-LP 97.3 FM airs unrepresented music, news and views in order to provide a platform for cultural diversity in Richmond.
Techno and jazz. World music and punk. Soul and folk and straight-up rock ’n’ roll. All types of music have a home at WRIR, and all of our music programs are created by volunteer DJs and aired live.
On tonight's show, I will be playing tracks by bands participating in the July 20th showcase at Gallery 5 for this summer's WRIR and The Commonwealth of Notions Presents: Volume Three. Along with those, I'll be showcasing artists that have played the Gallery 5 showcases in the two years prior. It's The Commonwealth of Notions!
Click "read more" for the playlist!
As Always, Thanks For Tuning In and Looking Forward to July Already!
Posted 6/19/13 at 9:59 pm by Shannon Cleary | 0 comments
Aspects of Physics - Utiliterranean
click read more to see the playlist!
Posted 6/19/13 at 8:15 pm by Melissa | 0 comments
Galaxy Girl filling in for Mike Rutz on this week's Activate!
I'm giving away a pair of tickets to see Japandroids tomorrow night in C’ville.
- 6/19: MERCHANDISE, MILK MUSIC, DESTRUCTION UNIT, THE JAMES BADFELLOWS @Strange Matter, 9pm
- 6/19: Bio Ritmo Wednesdays at EMILIO'S! @ Emilio’s, 1030pm
- 6/20: HERETICS IN THE LAB / LOW ON SANITY / MACHINE CHOP, INC @ Strange Matter, 9pm
- 6/20: Black Girls/MyWay/LD50 @ The Camel, 10pm
- 6/20: Japandroids / Crocodiles @ the Jefferson Theater, Charlottesville, doors @ 8, show @9
- 6/21: My Son the Doctor at Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream, 8pm
- 6/21: RJD2 live at Canal Club, 9pm
- 6/21: FREE TIME, THE AR-KAICS, EVERYONE DIES IN THE END, @ Strange Matter, 9pm
- 6/21: First Creature & St. James and the Apostles @ TheWell, 10pm
- 6/22: River City Barn Dance! 6/22 @ Hardywood, 4pm
- 6/22: SoundsofRVA Showcase - Basmati, Freaky J &The Bears, Lars Von Trier and The Masters of Industry @ Bogart’s, 9pm
- 6/23: Ramshackle Glory, the Devil's Coachwhip, Queer Rocket, and Mess' Sideshow at the Wingnut, 7pm
- 6/23: Silent Music Revival, Gallery 5, 8pm
- 6/23: Fool's Errand at Banditos, 9pm
- 6/25: Lorelle Meets The Obsolete | Gunboat | The Cales | Les Rhinocéros @ The Compound, 8pm
- 6/25: STRANGE MATTER PRESENTS: Dead Fame ▶ Shana Falana (NY) ▶ Lightfields ▶ The Absent Center
- 6/26: NYMPH (Brooklyn)/ SNACK TRUCK/ DUMBWAITER/// EARLY SHOW!!!!, Strange Matter @ 5pm
There’s lots of shows happening around town. You can find even more show info at onewayrichmond.com because John Morgan is better at this stuff than I am. Go out and see a show!
Posted 6/19/13 at 6:05 pm by Galaxy Girl | 0 comments
Man or Astro-Man? - Baby's First Space Walk
Thank for tuning in,
Posted 6/19/13 at 3:56 pm by Michael Miracle | 0 comments
Posted 6/19/13 at 4:58 am by George | 0 comments
tonight i have special guests joining me in the studio: tom morgan from heretics in the lab, brandon bates from low on sanity, and gabe from machine chop inc. will be talking music and other related/unrelated things with us! we will here an onslaught of music from these bands throughout the show as well! ...and if that's not enough, you can catch all three of these bands live this thursday here in rva at strange matter!
plus we will hear some new music from arts of erebus and psykkle! but, it all starts off with another new track from skinny puppy's weapon!
this will be an awesome show!
heretics in the lab, low on sanity, and machine chop inc. on thursday, june 20th @ strange matter, richmond, va
heretics in the lab, low on sanity, and asylum xiii on friday, june 21st @ buddhas place, newport news, va
click "read more" to see what's playing now!
miss this amazing show and/or need to hear it again possible in the vicinity of people you wanna impress? use the podcast!
thanks to my incredible guests and thank you world for listening! see ya at the show thursday!
Posted 6/19/13 at 12:00 am by Tommy Atrien | 0 comments
Posted 6/18/13 at 9:56 pm by Will | 1 comments
I had to meet with a guy before my show. It was a good meeting. I had a sandwich in the meeting.
Posted 6/18/13 at 7:59 pm by Will | 0 comments
An example of Fannie's Montgomery Ward 78's.
Otto just returned from a Sunday spent listening to the 78's belonging to a SW VA woman named Fannie Blackburn's 78 collection. Born in 1902, she saved up 17 cents for each Montgomery Ward brand 78, which apparently took some time.
Think about THAT the next time you oh so casually browse the internet for music.
Posted 6/18/13 at 6:36 pm by Josh Bearman | 0 comments
I've got a few tunes from Australian Fred Smith including a great song about Takoma Park MD.
Click on read more for the play list
Posted 6/18/13 at 3:42 pm by Eric Walters | 0 comments